What is Needed?
We need to make repairs to the Victorian church building:
- We need to renew the roof whole roof of the church and carry our high-level repairs.
- We need to renew the church heating system.
- We need to renew parts of the church floor where the Victorian tiles are in poor condition and no longer properly bedded.
We also need to make repairs soon to our church hall (added in 1984 and known as St Patrick's Room):
- We need to repair the roof and renew the roof lights.
- We need to replace the (original) carpeting.
- We need to replace the kitchen units and bring the work surfaces up to modern standards.
Outside the church:
- We need to renew the floodlighting system.
What have we Done?
- In 2012/13 we renewed the lighting system in the church with funding from major donations and bequests.
- In 2016 we renewed the roofs of the South Transept, St Patrick's Chapel, the Organ Loft and the Ambulatory - about one fifth of the area of the church roof with the aid of a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund Listed Places of Worship: Roof Repair Fund.
- In 2016/17 we lowered the ground around the east end of the church and repaired damaged drains to address severe damp affecting the stonework inside this end of the church with funding from bequests.
What are we Doing?
- In 2020, with the aid of a major grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, made possible by money raised by National Lottery players, we shall be renewing the remainder of the church roof.
- As part of the same project we shall also be modifying the modern 'cloister' annex to provide a welcoming lobby as an Equality Act-compliant entrance to the church for wheelchair users and ambulant visitors alike without detriment to the Victorian fabric.
- This work will start in March and continue until October, but the church will remain in normal use throughout.
- Well, that was the plan until the Covid-19 epidemic; the church has been closed to the public since 15th March and the site was shut down from 24th March to 1st June when the work restarted.