What is Needed?
We need to make repairs to the Victorian church building:
- We need to remove asbestos from an old heating duct and repair the floor above it.
- We need to renew parts of the church floor where the Victorian tiles are in poor condition and no longer properly bedded.
We need to make the church fit for the future:
- We need to renew and decarbonise the church heating system.
- We need to adapt and relamp the lighting system to use low energy LED lamps.
We also need to make repairs soon to our church hall (added in 1984 and known as St Patrick's Room):
- We need to repair the roof and renew the roof lights.
- We need to replace the (original) carpeting.
- We need to replace the kitchen units, bring the work surfaces up to modern standards and replace the gas cooker and water heater with electric ones.
Outside the church:
- We need to renew the floodlighting system with new underground cables and LED lamps.
What have we Done?
- In 2012/13 we renewed the lighting system in the church with funding from major donations and bequests.
- In 2016 we renewed the roofs of the South Transept, St Patrick's Chapel, the Organ Loft and the Ambulatory - about one fifth of the area of the church roof with the aid of a grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund Listed Places of Worship: Roof Repair Fund.
- In 2016/17 we lowered the ground around the east end of the church and repaired damaged drains to address severe damp affecting the stonework inside this end of the church with funding from bequests.
- In 2020/21, with the aid of a major grant from the National Lottery Heritage Fund, made possible by money raised by National Lottery players, we renewed the remainder of the church roof and carried out high-level repairs to the windows and walls.
- As part of the same project we modified the modern 'cloister' annex to provide a welcoming lobby. We improved the visibility of this entrance by removing an overgrown ornamental tree and privet hedge, provided lighting for the pathway to it from the street and widened the gateway to allow vehicle access for maintenance. In this way we have provided an improved, Equality Act-compliant entrance to the church for wheelchair users and ambulant visitors alike without detriment to the Victorian fabric.
What are we Doing?
- In 2021 we have been replacing accessible light bulbs with LED lamps; but major expenditure will be needed to relamp the inaccessible high-level fittings in the church.
- In 2021 we have replaced the old fridge/freezer in the church hall kitchen with a less energy-hungry modern fridge.
- We are awaiting quotations for removal of asbestos.