The Ambulatory Windows
Four of the five windows in the ambulatory ("walk way") around the edge of the apse behind the High Altar, together with the two single light windows in the St Patrick's/Blessed Sacrament Chapel, form a series of British and Irish saints with architectural surrounds in a uniform style. However, the window directly behind the High Altar, depicting the Crucifixion is significantly different in style, but all are by Clayton and Bell. The Worcester Diocesan Church Calendar for 1897 states that all of the windows at that time were by Clayton and Bell except for the east window of the chapel. (When St Alban's was built it was in the Diocese of Worcester - the Diocese of Birmingham was created in 1905.)
This page is part of our project "Revealing St Alban's Hidden Heritage" supported by The National Lottery Heritage Fund.